Trust the Process
Today this affirmation, quote, saying or whatever you wish to call it is something I use daily. Something to connect to daily (hourly sometimes) and have complete faith and belief in. It was hardly ever like that.....
So what does it mean?
Google defines 'trust' as the following:
"Firm belief in the reliability, truth, or ability of someone or something"
It defines 'process' as:
"A series of actions or steps taken in order to achieve a particular end"
So it means we keep moving forward with the belief that all is well (another helpful quote!) If this approach isn't the mindset we have in moving forward in our lives, then what is the alternative? To try to change; ourselves; the situation; others? To not accept things as they are? To be in pain and experience anger, frustration or worry? "It isn't fair"..."why does this always happen to me?"
So what then?
I am not saying this is always easy. Often it can be very difficult and the last thing that we want to do. Things happen in life that test our abilities to trust. Bad things happen to us and our loved ones. Awful things happen in the world and things aren't seen as fair or just. We want to change this and how it makes us feel so we can feel better and not be impacted by it.
Change the approach?
So there are times when taking a step forward and trusting the process and the journey isn't what we want to do. Our preference is then usually to change others, the situation, ourselves, the place where we live, our financial situation, our feelings (so we don't feel the hurt and pain) etc. However changing anything other than ourselves and our approach and attitude to something isn't possible; although we might think it is. Long term it won' give us the quality of headspace that we are consciously or unconsciously seeking.
Reinhold Niebuhr (1892–1971) wrote the following; known as the Serenity Prayer:
"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. Courage to change the things I can. And wisdom to know the difference."
So not only do we need to trust the process then, but we also need to have acceptance and courage?! Accept what we can't change and be brave enough to change what we can whilst trusting our journeys and in things that happen?
That's a big ask perhaps! Or is it?
Well what's the alternative?
What would happen if we didn't trust the process? I might suggest the following examples:
- Lack of acceptance and increase in the need to control and change
- Addiction issues
- Impacting relationships and career/job
- Impact to our well-being
- Lack of peace and serenity
I am not suggesting that all is hearts and flowers with trusting the process and going with the flow of life (ensuring we are of course taking responsibility for ourselves). Nor that it is always easy. It won't be. There will still be challenges and times when we find it tough, however the difference will be the following:
- We are taking ownership for self and what WE can control
- Accepting the decisions / actions of others - it is their business and NOT ours! (Yes really is it)
- Removing the need to cope with things by 'using' (alcohol, food, drugs, money, people, gambling etc)
- Increased peacefulness and serenity
- Calmer approach to situations and challenges
- General wellbeing and headspace
How to go about this approach?
The how isn't always easy to do so here are some examples to support with this:
- Prayer - to whatever/whoever you believe in. Even if you don't believe in anything or are an atheist. Something created this earth and keeps it going so there must be something bigger than us right?!
- Writing - one of the best ways to deal with things we are struggling with is to write it down. If it's on paper then it's less likely to grow and morph in our headspace
- Question without too much analysis - Why am I reacting the way I am? Am angry? Frightened? What parts am I responsible for? What bits can I change and impact? Deal with those parts....asking the Universe for help and support
- Gratitude - perhaps writing down all the amazing things you have in your life will help to right-size the negative emotions
- Courage - Be brave and take responsibility for your part
- Let is go and let is flow - don't sweat the small stuff!
- Be gentle, kind and loving - if we apply these then we will always do things from a loving place
As we grow and develop on our journeys; we become more aware of ourselves and this world. We realise that although we are only a pin point in a massive world our energies, light and love can ripple across miles and miles and impact millions of people.
Everything that happens is an opportunity to grow and learn and the more we can embrace this and trust our journeys here on earth the more we become in touch with the importance that love is THE most important thing.
Namaste beautiful souls!
Blessings to you,