Welcome to the Winter Solstice!
When is it?
December 21st 2017
What is it?
The Shortest Day & the Longest Night of the year. The Winter Solstice; also known as midwinter; is an astronomical phenomenon marking the day with the shortest period of daylight and the longest night. It happens at the same instant for everyone, everywhere on Earth – and this year the solstice occurs on Thursday December 21st at 16:28 GMT.
It is when the North Pole is tilted farthest away from the Sun, delivering the fewest hours of sunlight of the year.
What is it about spiritually?
It is a great opportunity to do the following:
- Nurture yourself
- Spend time connecting with loved ones
- Connect with self
- Process where you are at and how you are feeling
- Release and let go what no longer serves
- Celebrate what has happened; how far you have come and how you have dealt with ‘stuff’
- Start to plant the seeds for what you want to bring in
Suggested Process to follow (my personal suggestion):
- Light a candle or a nice warm fire to sit by
- Perhaps some incense too and some crystals if you feel appropriate
- Get cosy and comfy – blankets, pillows, comfy clothes!
- Either sit quietly in meditation (staring at the candle/flames) and process how you are feeling - really connect with what has happened and how you are feeling
- Use a book / pad of paper and a pen if that helps you to ‘get it all down’
- Release what you want to let go of and not carry forward out into the Universe
- What seeds do you wish to plant for the coming season; for you, your loved one, the good of humanity or the world?
- Think about the blessings you have in your life and what you are grateful for
- End with a prayer / moment of silence to bless your process
- If it helps; perhaps a nice salt bath or essential oil bath to nurture you and seal the process